Saturday, August 25, 2012

Ice cream to keep your hand cool!

Potholder for a friend's birthday ;)
Thank you so much for your fabric shelf block love!! Each and every one of 
your comment made my heart sing! Apparently I am not alone loving seeing 
fabrics on the shelf! Today I want to show you this potholder I whipped up for my friend's
birthday. The ice cream dish pattern is one of the Dishy Treats (August pattern for the 
Super Penguin QAL available here). My friend liked the patterns when I showed them, 
so I thought she may not mind receiving a potholder with one of the patterns 
showcased on ;) This potholder came out together very quickly! 

I basically paper-pieced the ice cream block first (no changes to the size was made),
 and quilted it with warm and natural cotton batting and quilting weight cotton backing.
Then I wrapped the bottom edge with a single fold bias tape (1/4" width finished). 
For the backside of the potholder, I quilted insulated batting with cotton fabric on
 both sides which was trimmed to measure 6 1/8" x 7 3/4". After basting the quilted
 ice cream block on top of it, I bound all four edges around with the same bias tape. 
Done! I'd love it if you made yours!

potholder3

It is large enough for Joe's big hand too!

I made it in the hope that the iciness of the ice cream will keep her hand cool and 
nice and will prevent any burn from happening ;) I very much recommend making
 this potholder if you have a friend or two who would like a potholder gift!
 It makes such a quick yet unique handmade gift!

potholder2

On the back side, I used my hand-carved alphabet stamps to add her name.

I hope you are all having a great weekend!!

P.S. Thank you to all of you who joined the SP QAL group and 
 have shared your lovely projects there!!! I always take a look there 
when I just want to smile!

37 comments:

  1. Your patterns are sooo cute! Love them,
    Silke

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so beautiful and great pattern! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your friend is going to love her potholder!! It is so cute and the ice cream is sure to stop any burns from happening :) I love that it is square and not mitten shaped!! I should work on my SP QAL blocks today. I'm falling behind....eeeeps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ayumi,
    SO GORGEOUS !!!! Wonderful like always. This is really amazing. I love the "chocolate news" flavour :).
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    Hugs from Portugal

    Ana Love Craft

    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. so, so adorable! Love the idea of using the block for this fun pot holder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful !!

    Great gift ideas, maybe you could do a tutorial ???

    A have a lovely weekend

    Love Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely gift, such sweet stamps too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, when we moved here and didn't have any potholders, I just quickly grabbed a set from the ¥100 store. Yeah, already falling apart and not very protective from the heat! I keep saying I should get some of the insulated batting stuff and make some more, but never so! I promise next time I'm at Yuzawaya I will try and find it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful and way too cool to use on grubby pots!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a fun idea! I'm amazed at how you come up with the designs =D

    ReplyDelete
  11. ADORE!!! <3 ! I will have to make this to some summer placemats.. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You make great presents because they are so thoughtful and personal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cool! What a lovely gift!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is one cool potholder! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful gift! Love your designs, and the potholder (mitten) is very clever.
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Olá Ayumi!
    UM dia ainda vou ser grande que nem você!
    Lindo trabalho, parabéns amiga!
    ginapatchwork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. me encanta como siempre,bonito trabajo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really good idea! with cute pattern.
    I really liked it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So cute! This really is a great gift idea. I might have to wip one up. Thank you for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh My Goodness! That is one sweet potholder! I love it :o) Hugs, L

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had to pin this, really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i had some mint chocolate cookie ice cream tonight. it was delicious and definitely not on the diet, but worth the cheat nonetheless! i love this pattern my friend, it is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So so cute ayumi. Much cuter tan any potholder I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's such a cute potholder, I love it :) as a student I used to not cook a lot cause I didn't have the good tools, but then my mom bought me a pair of potholders with some very nice designs, I still have 1 (my dog chewed the other one....)

    I love making handmade things too :) I find it's the best way to express ourselves


    Rejuvenate Vita
    “Unique-Styled Gifts at Affordable Prices”
    www.rejuvenatevita.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's very very cute and wish we'd had a summer here that I could have enjoyed ice cream but it has just been cold and raining. But I do love the potholder and shall be making one. Thank you so much for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Seriously??!! Super Buzzy just posted part 3 of your paper pieceing quilt along and it is ADORABLE!!! ;p

    How does one person stay so creative? Love it! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great thing I am a blog addict and I get to learn new DIYs. Thanks for this cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is really cute! I am going to make pot holders for my step mom for christmas and I think I'll have to make this one too. My dad can't sleep without a bowl of ice cream before bed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. wow. it's really a good contribution to us guys not good at icecream, you know i did some cakes before but the taste it's not good, then i quit, so if you have interesting, you can load to mens jackets

    visit my new make up, give me your advice, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the moment to leave a comment ;) I always love hearing from you!