Monday, June 4, 2012

Gifts sent and received etc!

Leaf Potholder

I've missed you all so much! I apologize for my long absence here once again! I have so many things I want to share, so many to the point I am a bit overwhelmed! Of course I have tons of pincushions pics I want to share, but maybe it wouldn't hurt to talk about something other than log cabin pincushions just to give fresh air to this little blog?

The leafy potholder (or a mug rug?) above was a gift for a friend I whipped up last week. I used Leila's Scrappy Leaf Key Fob pattern that I had purchased a while back. (You can purchase her pattern in her shop!) This pattern has so many possibilities! Have you seen how she made not only some key fobs but also coasters and a potholder by altering the size of the same pattern? So fun! I was especially inspired by her potholder and basically couldn't help myself copying her! It was a lot of fun choosing fabrics for this potholder with the recipient's taste in fabrics in mind. I can't say any more about this gift since it hasn't made its way to her.. ;)


Spool pincushion for Tara


This is a teeny tiny spool pincushion I made for Tara a while back. It made my heart sing to hear from Penny that Tara liked it so much that it is attached to her sewing machine now. I've made several of these pincushions for gifts but this is the only one I didn't forget to take a photo of.


Fabric basket and scrappy organizer


Along with the pincushion, I made these for her too; a fabric basket and a scrappy organizer. You probably know the basket pattern (hehe, the tute is here!). The organizer was made using a tutorial, once again, by Leila. (Yep, I admit I am a huge fan of her works!!)


Scrappy Organizer


This too is something I have to make one for myself as well ;)

*Part of Purse Palooza*


Signature Tote for Amy


And this is a quilted tote I made for Amy using one of the signature bag patterns in Kumiko Fujita's ABC book. Although this book is out-of-print and is very hard to find, the construction of this tote is quite simple enough for most folks with some bag/purse experience to figure out how to make it pretty easily. I'd like to talk about this bag as a part of Purse Palooza (more about the event in my previous post.) Here are some questions Sara of Sew Sweetness, the lovely host of this fun event, has kindly prepared for us.


Signature Tote for Amy


1. What materials are needed to make the bag? What type of interfacing did you use?

    Cotton print, linen, fusible web (for applique), cotton batting, and medium weight interfacing (for handles).

2. What fabrics did you use to make yours?

    Most cotton prints I used for are Japanese fabrics. (Suzuko Koseki, Kumiko Fujita, etc.)

3. Illustrations/Instructions (were the instructions easy to understand? Were there step-by-step photos or graphics? Was anything unclear?)

    It is a Japanese book, so all the instructions are in Japanese, but just like many Japanese craft books, every instruction has at least a few step-by-step graphics that basically explains the flow well.

4. Modifications (what changes did you make to the pattern and why?)

    I enlarged the pattern so that it's good enough for a library tote.

5. Difficulty Level (beginner, confident beginner, intermediate, advanced)

    Maybe confident beginner.

6. Conclusion (any final thoughts about the pattern...did you enjoy it? Would you make it again?)
    I really enjoyed making this bag. Even though I've made this type of quilted totes many times in the past, this instruction called for quite a few things I had never tried before. For example, the way handles are sewn right onto the bag like this. You can see the stitching from the exterior. The short edges of the handles were raw when they are sewn to the bag. The raw edges were then to be covered by some fabric. I hand-stitched this linen tape instead to cover up the raw edges. Another thing new to me was that the lining fabric was used to bind the raw edges inside the bag. Basically, your lining is at the finished size plus extra at two side edges. These extra parts are used to cover up the raw edges inside the bag! Clever!

Covering up raw edges with linen tape




Hand-curved stamps


I have been terrible at remembering to photograph my hand carved stamps before sending them. Here are three stamps I didn't forget to take a picture. Can you tell I am having so much fun curving stamps?



Lastly, I'd like to share with you some handmade lovelies that made my weeks!


Thank you Charise!

Oh you know how much I covet them, don't you? Charise has been such a sweet and generous friend who never ceases to stop spoiling me, hehe! Receiving these lovelies finally convinced myself it's the time I got a wall shelf for my craft room to display my favorite small crafted gifts ;)


Thank you, Doe!


Doe is too aweome. Period. I am constantly inspired by all her projects, but lately we had a chat about dolly dresses and I told her how much I'd like some of them to hang up on the wall. And look what I found in the mail! I love them so much I could probably eat them no problem!



71 comments:

  1. oh ayumi, I love all of these, so amazing. and your stamps are so so cute and perfect. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ayumi, sooo many pretties in one post!! I absolutely adore your leaf potholder, love the bit of hardware in your scrappy organizer. Your tote is simply gorgeous and handcarved stamps too?!! Wow, just wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You deserve all those gorgeous gifts A! And what a feast for the eyes of things you've made. You have been busy! Especially love the mugrug! Don't forget to build in some time to sleep, eat and breath!! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love everything !!

    So pretty...

    Love your hand stamps, you should definitely add a few to your shop !!

    Love and hugs Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love everything !!

    So pretty...

    Love your hand stamps, you should definitely add a few to your shop !!

    Love and hugs Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of these are Adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Leila, what a pretty post! I need to mention again how much I adore my bag! I carry it with me to my Daisy Scout meetings :) Thank you so much for making it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So great to "hear" from you! Yopur beautiful work never ceases to amaze me - everything is so fresh and pretty and perfect. What a treat to see so many lovely things all in one place!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow i"m totally swooning over the leaf pot holder!

    - Sarah
    agirlintransit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I love leaf pot holder too! And the fabric basket is nice and practical too. I like your choise of fabrics :-) And... my daughter is completely out of the little dresses!! :-) Jolana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Busy lady, your work is amazing and so lovely. You have some very lucky friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What picture treats! I could happily wear each little dress- although they may be a little tight ;) Interesting to see the construction detail on the signature bag, had never noticed that before!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't even know where to begin Ayumi! Everything is so adorable!!!!!!! Oh my...I just keep looking at the pictures. So much eye candy =D

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many pretty things! Especially loving the basket and organiser. You must have been so busy recently!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow you've been really busy, sewing, swapping, getting things in the mail! All such cute little items. =D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your gifts are adorable, as always! The keychain hardware you used for your organizer is super cool. And I love the linen tape you used on the bag!

    I finally bought myself a carving thingy and have been carving stamps. It's sooo fun! Yours are super duper cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a beautiful swap!! Giving and receiving packages are the best. :) I am so in love with Doe's dolly dresses. :) Happy week and love to yoU!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a lot of neat stuff! The dolly dresses are amazing .. are they Barbie doll size? so cute. The leaf potholder is beautiful! Such a great post with lots of beautiful pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ayumi! I am so glad to see you posting. :) I hope I have time to work up something for the Purse-palooza . . . I've got the pieces for a lunch tote cut out and ready to go. I don't suppose that counts? I mean . . . it's a bag at least! ;)

    Anyway, I love love love all the things you made. How do I get on the Ayumi list to receive handmade loveliness??

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy to see your post again!! I just love seeing all your beautiful creations!! Love the leaf pot holder! So sweet!! Have a lovely week! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, we did have to wait awhile for you to post, but it was so worth it, just like always! Your projects are amazing! Can't believe how great you are at carving stamps, and, as usual, your fabric combinations give me something to aspire to.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ayumi, your gifts are so beautiful and thoughtful! The ones you give as well as the ones you receive.

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow, so much to see and read. I love the little dolly dresses best of all.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your blog and seeing your pix and reading your posts to see what you've been making and doing. :-)
    I have three of your little baskets to get made to share with friends on my blog for pay it forward. I need to get that little task done soon! Thank you for sharing the tutorial with us readers so we can make them too! I've made several in the past and everyone loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This post is positively filled with happy images. I really needed a pick-me-up, and I feel better after all oft his eye candy. The leaf potholder is especially cheerful, and you are getting so good at the carving! I've been thinking I need to make myself one of your patchwork baskets. I used the tutorial last year for a swap, but a little selfish sewing might be a good thing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. As always, the cutest things ever are found on your blog. Perfect cuteness.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Exelent :)

    http://masinski-kutak.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. What in the world? Everything you make is just incredible. Haha, I LOVE it all. These people that are swapping with you are lucky ducks. And thanks for posting the link to the leaf mug rug, what a cute pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love looking at your creations. Your photos are always crisp, your creations are always bright, cheerful, neat as a pin, and so well done. Also I think I am very jealous of your gifted tiny doll clothes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this leaf potholder, what you did with the original pattern is amazing. It's a real pleasure looking at your work, please don't stop!

    ReplyDelete
  31. i love everything you do! and i love that i have a hand carved stamp from YOU! you seriously are the best! xo

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOW!! I loved everything! Those doll dresses are going to look beautiful hanging in your sewing space! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow! You make such wonderful and adorable things...

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oooh, lots of lovely goodies all round there!

    ReplyDelete
  35. ALL of your projects are gorgeous!!!!! Definitely wish I had that book!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow! beautiful gift! This is the kind of post that is definitely worth reading. Thank You for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm completely overwhelmed by all the cuteness in this post! But I especially love that leaf potholder!! Cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  38. The leaf potholder is sooo cute, have to do! Thanks for inspiring me (again).

    ReplyDelete
  39. There is never any shortage of inspiration whenever I visit Pink Penguin. Thanks Ayumi for sharing all of your work with us! Everything you make is just so fabulous and I love seeing the fabric combinations you choose. I can't wait...just cannot wait for the day I will meet up with you at the Tokyo Quilt Festival. One day it'll happen!!! In the mean time, I'm anxiously awaiting your you-know-what project :) !!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Ayumi, i love all of the pretty photos in this post. you have a style that is so different from my own. i wish i could see the world through your eyes for a little bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm new to your blog and I just wanted to let you know that I love all the amazing projects I've found on your blog!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thank you so much, lovely people!

    ReplyDelete
  43. eu adorei teu blog! gostei muito do teu artesanato

    ReplyDelete
  44. o meu blog é dedicartes.blogspot.com.br
    bjos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Loving your Blog. Just blogged about my crafty weekend with my girls. I love all the crafty things. So relaxing and great fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Many thanks for the exciting blog posting! I really enjoyed reading it, you are a brilliant writer.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I pass ur blog and it's so interesting. <3

    ReplyDelete
  48. Everything you have shown is just amazing. And because of Charise I have bought the ABC book. Haven't made anything from it yet but I am happier with my cutting and piecing and practice really does sort of make perfect I'm almost there. You are just amazing and I love the bag you made.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thanks for sharing...the dolly dresses are so cute! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I had a great time reading your article and I found it interesting. This is such a beautiful topic that me and my friends are talking about. Thanks for this blog, we are enlightened.

    ReplyDelete
  51. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  52. www.littlepiecesblog.blogspot.com.brJuly 22, 2012 at 11:26 AM

    I loving your blog, the doll dresses are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I have truely enjoyed getting to know you and I pray for you! I hope you get feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Exchanging strengthen the bond of relationship and renews your relation, so this practice should be repeated periodically....

    ReplyDelete

  55. I have truely enjoyed getting to know you and I pray for you! I hope you get feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Gifts strengthen the bond of relation, so the practice of exchanging gifts should be done repeatedly...

    ReplyDelete
  57. I have truely enjoyed getting to know you and I pray for you! I hope you get feeling bette


    ReplyDelete
  58. I have truely enjoyed getting to know you and I pray for you! I hope you get feeling bette


    ReplyDelete
  59. Most unique gift.....a big Japanese urn that looks like it would hold someone's ashes.
    christmas gifts

    ReplyDelete
  60. hi ayumi, i am from turkey :) and i love your blog, it's so relaxing me.. see you

    ReplyDelete
  61. Thanks for the reminder to examine my heart, jami. Not just in blogging, but also in my daily activities. So thankful for you!
    airlines contact numbers

    ReplyDelete
  62. Hi

    Nice gifts collection. I am very Impressed with . Your work hard . Thanks for sharing it's very useful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Hi
    your pictures are very beautiful & your content is very useful for every one.
    Thanks you.
    www.sendflowerstoindore.in

    ReplyDelete
  64. Hi,
    Gifts are very unique and is very beautiful and most popular in the world and people like the gift.

    ReplyDelete

  65. Captain America jacket

    Captain america Leather jacket taken from the movie “Avengers 2012” worn by Steve Rogers as Captain america available here,buy this
    superb quality Leather jacket with worldwide shipping

    ReplyDelete
  66. I had a great time reading your article and I found it interesting.Happy to see your post again!! I have truely enjoyed getting to know...

    Captain America Leather Jacket

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the moment to leave a comment ;) I always love hearing from you!