Saturday, November 8, 2008

Little Logcabin Bag


Hi all! I hope you're all having great weekends.

I spent a lot of time sewing last week. I realized I am doing
pretty good this semester and thought to give myself some
reward: time to sew;) This little bag is what I made today.
One of my friends is coming to visit me from Japan in later this
month. She will be my 6th friend to fly over to see me since I
moved down to California last year. I am such a lucky girl to be
visited so often. I always get excited about my buddies coming over.

I make it a point to make my friends some sort of handmade gifts
when they come over here, hoping that the gifts can be parts of
their memories of journeys. So, this logcabin bag is going to be hers!



My calculation was off. I thought I cut out pieces of fabric
just enough to make a bag, but there was excess, so...


Logcabin Drawstring Bag

with the rest of the fabric pieces, I made two coasters!
I really like how both the bag and the coasters turned out,
and I have a pretty good feeling that my friend will like them too;)


Got these feet!

Oh! Here comes good news!! I bought the feet for my sewing machine!
Yaaaaaaaay!! Thanks so much for those of you who gave me advice on
how to look for them. I ended up buying them online from SewShop.com.
I highly recommend this shop. I ordered my feet Monday night, and
they were in the mail box on Thursday. Super fast delivery!
(and it was free shipping!)


Penguin Quilt

So the penguin quilt is almost ready to be quilted!
I am thrilled as it's getting closer and closer to
be a completed quilt. My old digital camera is not
very nice when I take pictures of objects that are big.
(as you can see how low quality this picture is).
My friend who's got a nice SLR camera will be so nice to take
some shots of this penguin quilt for me once I finish it up.
I am really excited about that too;)



I have some links to nice fabric baskets again!

Fabric Baskets by Lurline, Willow Witch, vivie95, Mara Porto,
quiltgrl_ 2000, Ruthie, Bloom, and Pat!

Special thanks to Sew,Mama,Sew! and Quilting Gallery
for featuring my fabric basket tutorial!!



Check out more creations;)


Thanks for reading!

33 comments:

  1. Very ,very nice all things!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGosh your quilt is looking amazing! :DD I totally envy the utter neatness of all your work, it just shows that you take time and just enjoy the process. ^^ Love the coasters too. C=

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the log cabin bag and coaters...maybe your friends like to come visit to get a special gift ;)

    The quilt is going to be beautiful - you've done a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute, cute bag! I'm going to try one of those...no zipper...maybe I can do it...LOL! I am so bagaphobic...I'm going to try, I'm going to try! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You quilt is great. I love the way you used the black and white dots to frame each center. I can't believe this is your first quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fabrics you use <3. I wish i could buy them here :( but in my country they only sell the basic ones xD.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the new "feet!" And the log cabin bag is darling! Your friend will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your sewing is so insanely neat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the bag is lovely and the grey background brings the colours of te squares on you quilt out prefectly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another cute project! I love making the patchwork bag and basket. I especially love the coasters spilling out of the new log cabin bag. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your penquin quilt! I made your fabric basket tutorial last night! Just posted a picture of it. Very fun, will be making more of those, thanks for the great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am working on another drawstring bag to match another fabric basket I finished yesterday. I am somewhat addicted to these things LOL. The first one I made, I had to take to my office and sit it on my desk so I could admire it throughout the day! :)

    Love the progress on the quilt. Can't wait to see the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  13. the penguin quilt is so great. how are you going to quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much, everyone!

    jacquie-
    I am probably going to do simple easy quilting in the way that I stitch along the blocks. I was thinking about more creative stitch, but I figured using a darning foot is not easy..

    ReplyDelete
  15. The bag is oh so cute! And the penguin quilt is looking FABULOUS! ooxx`jodi

    ReplyDelete
  16. What Great Pressies these Bags make...Great idea for your Visitors...Love the Quilt it is Progressing Nicely..nearly done.
    cheers
    maree

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW The bag is so cute! I love the fabrics you chose! YAY for the new feet! And your quilt is gorgeous! I can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow i just check out all this great stuff u have made and i am inspired you really do make some beautiful stuff its great if only i was so talented
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  19. So many things to delight in on this post! Your bag and coasters are terrific...and the penguin quilt is taking great shape. I love my walking foot...it's just amazing how it works. Happy sewing, happy quilting! I enjoy your blog very much. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such lovely things - thanks for the tutorial - I will definitely have to make some gift bags myself. Congratulations on your new feet. Those two are indispensible - those and my quarter inch foot are my three staples.

    ReplyDelete
  21. your little bag with the coasters in it is so cute! and your quilt is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I adore your blog! Very wonderful quilt! And love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I want to come visit you if you give all your visitors beautiful gifts like this bag and coasters.
    Your penguin quilt is looking amazing, and I don't think the picture is bad. As long as I can see a shape with colors, I'm ok with it..*lol*.
    Take care and thanks for the links.

    ~~Fran...:c)

    ReplyDelete
  24. you have an award waiting for you on my blog!

    http://www.lindsayluudesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your bag and your quilt...they are both wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your Penguin quilt and your log cabin bag. Your tutorials are wonderful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So many gorgeous things love your blog why ?
    Please drop by my blog as I have an award for you!
    Congrats!
    hugs ginger

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW! I just happened upon your blog and I just love that penquin quilt....is it your design? I would love to make one like it....would you mind...course I have no idea where to get that gorgeous penquin fabric....from your stash? lol....just kidding!(about your stash) do want that quilt....are you selling it? Your blog is awesome and now that I have found it....it is a fav...
    hugz
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks everyone!

    creativedawn-

    Thanks for your interest in the penguin quilt;) but this is not going to be for sale, since I want to keep it as it is my very first quilt. I got this penguin fabric in Japan. It is called Tenugui and it's quite thin, used back in old time in Japan to wipe off sweat.If I find any online shop that sells the tenugui, I'll let you know asap!

    ReplyDelete
  30. i made a baskit form your tutorial, I'm going to make these bags too!! your tutorials are awesome!

    http://creativeshadesofred.blogspot.com/search?q=fabric+baskit

    ReplyDelete
  31. That must be one of the nicest gifts I have ever seen. Really, I mean it's not something typical or anything like that, it's more of an enhanced upgrade to the original production. It's always fun to give something that looks like there was a lot of thought put into it which is what we all like to call, "priceless". So let's all take at least one day every so often, maybe even be spontaneous and let's form some sort of gift to give someone special to us that bit of recognition to know that we still care :) it'll be fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the moment to leave a comment ;) I always love hearing from you!