Saturday, April 18, 2009

Quilt Festival

Hi all! Hope you all had a great Easter and are having
a great weekend! Thanks so much for your comments/e-mails.
I seriously can't thank enough for how much brightness
you guys bring to my life. I am so appreciative of this
fabulous technology-Internet. Without it my life would've
been much more boring. I don't deny I am an Internet addict.

penguin quilt completed

I bet many of you know by now about the online quilt
festival
hosted by Amy @ Park City Girl.
I thought my Penguin Quilt might want to participate in it.
For those who have never seen the pictures taken during the
progress of this project, I'd like to show some today.

Quilt

This is how I started. I made 9 blocks using this cute
penguin tenugui fabric I found at one of souvenir shops in
this hotspring in Tokyo. The navy fabric is also
from Japan. I was so excited to do something with these.

quilt in progress
Then I added another border for each. I loved the fact
that pretty much any fabric looked good for the border,
so I decided to pick 9 different fabric to make each
block identical, unique, and fun to look at.

Penguin Quilt in progress

Then I added another border - different fabric for each.
But I kinda felt like there is something missing to
stand out each block, so I added...

Penguin Quilt

Another border before connecting all of them with sashing
in between. I think that helped each block stand out from others.

penguin quilt

This is what I worked on a day before Christmas Eve: Binding.
I almost chose pink fabric for binding, but I thought using
the same navy fabric might match better.

penguin quilt in progress

This penguin quilt, my first quilt is definitely not
the best project I've worked on. I didn't know using
100% linen as sashing was this much difficult. I didn't
know there was a choice to use quilting adhesive spray.
I didn't know not machine quilting all the way would
make this quilt so wrinkly. There are many things I think
I could've done better, and I know there are more things
you guys professional seamstresses can tell me how I could've
improved the quilt, but I am simply...

penguin quilt in progress

in love with it. It was the biggest project ever for me,
but I somehow managed to complete it and now it is on the
couch making me smile every time I look at it. Whenever my
projects come out nicely, I feel like letting others own them,
but not this one. This penguin quilt will be with me forever.
I love it so much. Such a meaningful quilt to me.



stash

Stashes. It was random, but I thought these stashes are
so beautiful that I had to take some pictures this morning.

stash

The same stashes from the other side.
Joe, please treat my lovely fabric gently.

fabric basket & a matching patchwork bag

These are my latest projects that I finished this morning.
A springy fabric basket and a matching patchwork bag.

fabric basket & a matching patchwork bag

The other sides. I really like how they turned out.
I made these for custom orders. I like them so much
that I even feel like making the same ones for myself.

patchwork bag

I always love this shot of a patchwork bag.

Thanks so much for spending your time to
stop by here. Have a great weekend!!



55 comments:

  1. I think it's very pretty and your sewing is impeccable. I love the way your block borders don't overshadow the penguin fabric but make the whole quilt pop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love every single thing about this quilt. I love the dots, I love the frames around each block, I love the penguins, I love the neutral sashing, and I love the dots binding. It is so beautiful, fresh, modern, and something I could look at all the time. I'm gushing, sorry! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The penguin quilt is really lovely.
    And I'm rather jealous of your stashes.
    Andi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how each block looks like a picture frame. And you can never go wrong with Penguins :) Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your penguin quilt is fantastic...i think it would look ace at the quilt fair
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your quilt, the penguin fabric is very fun!
    Beautiful stash photos too; they make me want to go fabric shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very beautiful quilt. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Your continue to amaze! Love your stash. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been thinking about using linen to sash a quilt, but it sounds like it may be a pain. The penguins make a unique center for this very cute and fun quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a unique quilt. I like the process of how you put it together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I Love Your Penquin Quilt it is Fabulous...Well Done on Your First Quilt...The Fabrics were a Great Choice...looking forward to seeing your Next One.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness - it's absolutely beautiful. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely to see your penguin quilt, again, Ayuma! Gorgeous stash fabrics and gorgeous new basket and drawstring bag! Thanks for showing!
    Hugs - Lurline♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty! I'd love to see it quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So unique, I love your work and fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it! I think we all have a sentimental affection for the first quilt we make...mistakes and all. Besides, handmade quilts should be imperfect like the human who made it. Thank you for sharing this story and your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love your penguin quilt. So cute! And the texture of the linen sashing just looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The penguin quilt is stunning. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    S.W.A.K.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great quilt! The linen offsets the polka dots so well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really love the quilt! And how you sound so guilty for adding more and more fabric :D you did an amazing job, and you are right to feel proud!! i love all the fabric you use... therefore love the pictures tooo! keep up everything, i love seeing everything you work on :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the polka dots. Really makes the quilt striking.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the polka dots. Really makes the quilt striking.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the penguin quilt! And what a great stash!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love all the fabric...and the way you pieced it together is lovely! What a fabulous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's sooooo happy! I love the polka dots!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your projects are always inspiring...and your stash...LOVE it! Are they all Japanese fabrics?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks so much for such lovely comments, everyone!!!

    Sherri-
    About a half of the stash is Japanese fabrics and the other is what I found here including vintage fabrics and modern fabrics;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi! i live in Moscow, and one day i watching your blog. It's great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That quilt is simply adorable!! I love the polka dots tying everything together.

    All of your projects are so fun and fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love how you used 9 different fabrics on the borders around each of the penguin blocks! Your choice of colours and fabrics is wonderful - I think you did an amazing job on this quilt! Your blog is great too and now I want to make one of those little patchwork baskets :) Thanks for sharing!
    Beth
    cornerhousequilts.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the quilt. The repetition of the borders really make those penguins do their thing.

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is such a fabulous quilt! Very eye catching.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the neutral/taupe-y background against those bright colours! Sharp. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. That quilt is fantastic! Very nice work choosing the fabrics and colors.

    The stack of fabric reminded me of the stack of crafting books I have on my nightstand. I love looking at them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh what a fun quilt this is....love those polka dots!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Bravo! You did a great job! I really enjoyed your step-by-step story about your decision for this quilt...and can relate to your sentiments reagarding keeping the quilt for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great quilt and I like the way it evolved into what you wanted, i have to plot and plan. then I change it as I go.

    ReplyDelete
  38. That quilt is spectacular! I haven't quilted since 2002. I was burnt out, but I'm ready to get back in the saddle. I'm making a baby one for my great-niece. I'm not sure if I'll be brave enough to post photos, though. :)

    Thanks for sharing! I love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your fabrics make me smile! I love every inch of your newest quilt. I look forward to every one of your projects--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  40. That's a stunning quilt - great fabric choices - WOW - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love your penguin quilt! It's so fun and great mix of patterns. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Very cute quilt - I love your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh I absolutely love your penguin quilt. The colors are so pretty together. It really makes each block differnet though the center fabric is the same. I also love the patchy drawstring bag.
    ~Tootles for now!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Love the penguin quilt. You give me great inspiration with it!

    ReplyDelete
  45. your stash shows my heart's desire - lots of fabric with text. off shopping on saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  46. This is an absolutely wonderful quilt. It makes me want to go start one like it. Now, what do I have that would make a nice center. Oh, no. Nothing as cute as those penguins!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Congratulations the quilt is fantastic, the most modern I have ever seen, I like the style :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. your penguin quilt is one of my all time favs. thanks for sharing it again. congrats on your blogiversary too...i'm sure glad you're here.

    ReplyDelete
  49. You have a great style. I love your selection of fabrics. Cheerful & comforting colors! You did a great job.

    Thank you for sharing.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  50. Okay, this is the third post that I've read, and now I'm truly in love. That fabric stash just saw drool slip out of the corner of my mouth! xx

    ReplyDelete
  51. where did you purchase the penguin fabric? I've been looking for something like this forever!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Thanks everyone!

    Anonymous-
    I found the penguin fabric when I visited Japan. The more about the fabric can be found in my FAQs. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the moment to leave a comment ;) I always love hearing from you!